Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Olives for Apple

Reaching out to the hand of the all mighty

Yesterday I decided to take Udi's advice and write to Steve Jobs. 

What I've realized is that what has bothered me about my mugging is not just the loss of the phone, but the loss of camaraderie with Apple. I've paid for their technology gladly; and I wanted to present my case and understand why they felt it was appropriate to charge me a higher cost for an iPhone after being mugged. Below is what I had written to Apple; it covers a lot of what I had written in my first post 'iMugged' with some added appreciation and request for clarity:

Hi Steve + Apple employees, 

First I would like to acknowledge that I have a deep respect for the work you have done at Apple, and I am most grateful for the Apple products I have had. They have done nothing short of change my life. I've recently applied for a job Apple because I believe in what you stand for. With that said, I do have a conflict with a policy that has been held regarding iPhones, and I'm looking to understand the logic behind it. 

To get to the point, here's whats happened:
I was mugged by two thugs about a month ago. I was mostly unhurt; a few bruises, but what hurt most was that I lost my new 32GB iPhone 4. I filed a police report as soon as I got home and had access to a phone (if you wish to look up the case, the case number is XXXXXXXX, you can call the SFPD in charge of this case at 415-XXX-XXXX). That night I had also tried to track my phone using the 'Find My Phone' software, but I was unable to. According to the officer who worked the case, this is fairly common because there is a way to disable this feature. As I understand it, this is an issue that is being worked on; which I commend you for. 

This however is not my issue. 
My issue is that when I went to purchase a new iPhone the very next day, the cost of the phone had changed from $299 to $499. I was not expecting this; but I reluctantly agreed to it because I wanted the very same phone I had. The more time I have thought about it, the more I don't understand the logic of this situation. I was robbed, I did everything I could do to change the situation, and when I went to purchase a new phone, I was asked to sign a new contract, but was 'ineligible' for the new customer cost. Why?
It certainly did not help to have Apple and At&t emails following my reluctant purchase, welcoming me to my new phone, and thanking me for its purchase. I was not satisfied with the experience, I just wanted things to return to some normalcy. 

As I understand things currently:
I have tried to understand this situation, and I have spoken to At&t and Apple store associates several times about it, but I have yet to hear a satisfying explanation. What I have understood is that the cost of the phone is subsidized as a new customer, and the investment is returned through the use of the phone's service. As a result, when a customer has a 'breach of contract' there is a loss that needs to be accounted for. While this makes sense to me, the scenario I have found myself in makes this policy seem unethical. What appears to be the case is that I am at fault for being mugged, and I am responsible to cover the losses to you and At&t. I've also heard that given my police report, this should not have happened (and that I should be able to purchase it at the original cost of $299); but when I have tried to clarify the situation with either At&t or Apple, the explanation I have gotten is something along the lines of "it's the other guys fault, we can't change the policy, but we feel very sorry that this has happened". I reach out to you as a last resort, as I find this answer is unsatisfactory.

My first experience with Apple's ethics:
My very first laptop that I purchased proved to me your sense of ethics towards its consumers. In the fall of 2003, purchased a titanium Laptop; the last of its kind. There was speculation that a newer laptop would soon be arriving; but I could not be assured when. I called Apple sales, and bluntly asked the sales person if there was any word on when a new one would be coming; and their response was that they were not privy to this information.



I purchased a Titanium laptop that day; but I never got one. Within 3 days of ordering my new computer, Apple announced a complete redesign of their laptops. The all new Aluminum G4, with 20 more gigabytes hard drive space. I was frustrated, but not for long. I received an email from Apple, stating that my order was automatically upgraded to the new G4, at no extra cost. This is Apple service at its finest. It may have cost you; but I believe that the logic stands that you were making an investment in customer loyalty. One which I would argue has paid off, as I have continued to purchase your products.

Among the list of products I have bought from Apple:
4 iPods -'02 touch wheel, '03 buttons on top, '03 iPod mini (for my sister), '06 iPod video



3 iPhones-  the original in '07, and then 2 iPhone 4's.
3 laptops-  the first Al as mentioned, Macbook Pro '05, and Macbook Pro '07
1 Tower- Mac Pro '09
1 iPad




Not to mention the purchases I have recommended to others, my family has purchased several iphones, ipods and computers after I had introduced them to Apple products. With all the software updates, accessories, etc, it's safe to say I'm a big fan, and a dedicated customer. You have provided me with the tools I use for my life.

What I am asking for:
 I would like one of two outcomes from this email. I am asking you to reconsider the course of action; and either have your current position justified absolute clarity why this action has taken place, and why Apple stands behind it; or that I am compensated for the difference in cost between the first and second time I bought an iPhone4 ($200). 

I understand that there are people out there who would be willing to take advantage of a situation if Apple were to start handing out iPhones for all people who claimed they were 'mugged' without much evidence, but please know that is not what I am trying to do. I have been a huge fan of what you do, and have always purchased your products with a great amount of pride. I'm not asking for a "freebie"; I'm hoping that you can help me understand why things have been done the way they have, or that you consider that perhaps your policy does not fit the ethical bounds of this example. 

I truly love what Apple stands for, it's what has inspired me to work for you; but this situation has been disappointing. I hope that you take the time to fix this situation. I know that there are bigger things on the horizon, and that $200 may not even be worth the time it takes to have Steve Jobs himself read this email; but I believe at Apple's core is the sentiment that you are valued not just on the quality of your innovations, but also on the quality of your customer experience and service.

Thank you for your time, I look forward to hearing from you soon. 


Sincerely, 
Arjun Adamson

No comments:

Post a Comment